Thursday, November 20, 2014

Two Months

It is true what they say. Everything goes by much faster with the second child. I really can't believe this little guy is two months.

Weight: 12 lbs 13 oz
Height: 23.5 inches

He is such a cute and sweet little guy. He has a very similar temperament to his brother. He is pretty laid back and doesn't fuss much unless he is tired, hungry, has a burp or needs a diaper change. If we meet those needs is is pretty content. He is starting to smile just a little bit but you have to work pretty hard to get a smile. If you can get his eye contact right after he nurses he will usually give me a few big smiles. Daddy even got a little giggle yesterday after a diaper change. He is not a cuddler and likes to be held out looking at the world. He usually will sit under his play mat for a good 20-30 minutes after a feeding and just look at his toys. He is swinging his arms and batting at the toys and makes his gurgling sounds. He makes the same babbling/gurgles that Luke did. He doesn't coo and goo goo gah gah. My babies make gurgling and grunting sounds and that is their babbling! I'm very bad about giving him tummy time, but when I do he will usually only tolerate it for a few minutes before breaking out the big tears and rubbing his face on the ground.

He is nursing 6-7 times a day about every 3-3 1/2 hours during the day. He has really shortened up his nursing times the last few days to about 15 minute feedings versus the 20 minutes he was doing before. He is a good nurser and I have had very few problems with him or me. He does spit up a little bit, but I think that Luke spit up more than Jimmy does. He was having gas/tummy troubles the first few weeks of life, but that has changed and I don't see him bothered by gas or tummy troubles.

His typical schedule looks like this:
5:00/6:00 AM     Eat and back to bed
8:15/8:30 AM     I wake him up for the day and he will nurse a little bit and have awake time
10:00 AM           Nap time
11:30 AM           Eat and awake time
1:00 PM              Nap time
3:00/3:30 PM      Eat and awake time
5:00 PM              Nap time
6:00/6:15 PM      Small feeding and awake time
7:30 PM              Bath time
7:50 PM              Eats
8:15 PM              Bedtime
10:30 PM            I offer him a "dream feed". Sometimes he will nurse and sometimes he doesn't

He loves his schedule and so do I!! I am a schedule person and it just makes my life easier if I can know when he needs to eat, sleep or be awake. I can plan my day around his schedule (most of the time) and it makes things predictable for me. I purposefully wake him for the day at 8:15/8:30 so that I can get Luke to school at 9:00 when he has awake time. I think he would probably sleep in later, but this has worked out great so far! I am surprised at the number of friends/acquaintances I have that don't have babies on schedules. I think I would go crazy, but then they probably think I am crazy and controlling to have my baby on a schedule. Of course there is some flexibility and he sometimes has to have a nap on the go (in the bjorn or car seat) but for the most part it works out well.

This kid is a great sleep (knock on wood!!!). There have been a few nights where he has gone until almost 7 AM. He is still taking 99% of his naps in his bouncy chair, but he is still a newborn so I am not going to start worrying about that yet! He sleeps in his crib at night and sleeps very soundly. I have the monitor on my nightstand turned down very low and I sometimes hear the occasional grunt or growl, but even when he does wake up to eat he doesn't scream or cry. I can just hear him grunting and gurgling and I can tell he is going to start to fuss soon. Even if I wait a minute he usually just fusses, but no full out crying.

Things that he loves: to watch the ceiling fan in our room, sit in his bouncy chair while I shower and get ready, play with his toys under his play mat, being outside, being carried in his bjorn, looking at the christmas tree lights, nursing, bath time and being held.

Things that he does not like: sometimes he is not a fan of the car seat, getting shots (who likes that!), being cold (outside or sometimes getting out of the bath tub), having his feedings interrupted (like when Lukey needs assistance in the bathroom while I'm nursing!!).

I am already missing the tiny little baby that popped out of me 2 months ago. Even though when they are tiny I kind of just want them to get bigger so I can sleep more and not spend my entire day nursing, but now that he is getting bigger I really miss that little precious baby. He is such a sweet little guy and I am so excited for him to start laughing and interacting with us more. He changes so much almost every day. It is incredible.



No comments: